I sure have missed baking. I gave it up for a while when I was doing Whole30, but I never picked it back up when I went back to the paleo diet. Until today! When I pulled out my stand mixer today, it literally had dust on it. That’s how long it’s been!
Luckily, Danielle Walker’s book Against All Grain and the Meyer Lemons from my CSA came to the rescue, and I whipped up these this afternoon. I decided to put a fun spin on it and add some of my YoungLiving Lemon Essential Oil to the mix! Lemon is not only a great flavor but also a good support for allergies as well as cleansing toxins from the body.
Preheat the oven to 350 degrees, and grease your ramekins. Set them in a large baking dish or use two smaller dishes. Then fill the baking dish(es) about halfway with boiling water. This is what will give you that creamy custard with fluffy cake on top.
Start by combining the honey, lemon juice, zest, coconut milk, egg yolks, vanilla bean scrapings in a bowl, and Lemon Essential Oil. For a creamier coconut milk, stick the can in the refrigerator overnight, then shake before opening. Whisk ingredients until combined. It will look a little foamy, but that’s normal. Then mix in your coconut flour and salt and whisk until combined. Let sit for 10 minutes while you ready your egg whites.
Whip the three egg whites in a bowl of a stand mixer or with a hand mixer until soft peaks form. It should be very foamy but not dripping from the whisk attachment. Gently fold in the egg whites into the batter and keep folding until it’s mixed in. It might take a while but resist the urge to rush through it. You want it fluffy!
Evenly divide the batter among the ramekins which should be sitting the hot water. Side note: I’m so bad at evenly dividing batter so do a little at a time until each one is equally filled, then repeat until your out of batter.
Bake at 350 for 30 minutes. The batter should be set and the tops should be lightly golden brown. They are so creamy and delicious underneath the fluffy cake layer. Yummy!
PALEO LEMON CURD CAKES
Light, lemony cakes with a creamy lemon curd inside
Prep Time- 20 min
Cook Time- 30 min
Total Time- 50 min
- 1/2 cup honey
- 1/4 cup full fat coconut milk
- 1/2 cup Meyer lemon juice (about 2-3 lemons)
- Zest of 1 Meyer lemon
- 3 eggs, separated
- 5-7 drops Young Living Lemon Essential Oil
- 1 vanilla bean, scraped
- 1 1/2 Tbs coconut flour
- 1/4 tsp salt
- Coconut oil
- Preheat oven to 350F. Grease 6 ramekins with coconut oil and place in large baking dish. Fill dish halfway with boiling water.
- Combine honey, coconut milk, juice, zest, and 3 egg yolks, lemon oil, and vanilla bean in a mixing bowl and whisk until combined.
- Add flour and salt and whisk. Let sit for 10 minutes.
- Meanwhile, beat 3 egg whites until soft peaks form (about 2-3 minutes)
- Gently fold egg whites into batter until combined, then divide evenly into 6 ramekins.
- Bake at 350 for 30 minutes or until batter is set and tops are golden brown.